Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Little Judy

Ever looked in the mirror and wondered "who is that person staring back at me"? Yep, I have too! Actually, I do it every day. The older I get, the more I remind myself of my mother (hence the title of this post, "Little Judy"). If you asked Jared, he'd tell you I'm "Little Kelly" (my sister). Unfortunately, Jared never had the privilege of meeting my sweet mama, but if he had, he'd realize "Little Judy" and "Little Kelly" mean the exact same thing! Either way, I take it as a compliment. You see, my mom and my sister just happen to be two of the greatest women I've ever known.

My mom had a heart that was always open. She never judged people based on their beliefs or lifestyles. She had faith that could move a mountain. And she supported her children no matter what decisions we made (now this doesn't mean we never got in trouble though).

She wasn't perfect ... no one is. My sweet mama had a temper like a mama bear if anyone messed with her babies! And, although she was always forgiving of her children, she was known to hold a grudge or two.

I wish I could say I had all of my mother's positive attributes, but I'm sure I don't. However, the ones about faith and family I come by honest. I also got my "protective instincts" and grudge holding from her too (but she got hers from her mom, and I hope my kids get it from me too - if we don't take up for our families who will?).

So, I guess the things that some might call imperfections, are things I wouldn't have changed about her for anything in the world. And when I look in the mirror and see my mom or my sister staring back at me, it makes me so very proud of the woman I've grown up to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment