Monday, May 2, 2011

Remembering ...

I remember walking through the back door at the formal wear/salon where I worked part-time while attending community college. One of the ladies I worked for (who is also one of my dearest friends) was already there cutting a local police officer's hair. From the back I could hear them talking. Their voices echoed with fear and sadness. As I listened and realized what they were talking about, I too became overwhelmed with fear, sadness and even loneliness.

I didn't turn the TV on that morning. I remember it like it was yesterday. Just six weeks before the 9/11 attack on America, my mother passed away. She was taken from us suddenly in a car accident, and my mind and heart still hadn't quite adjusted. So, it wasn't unlike me to get ready for work in complete silence. It was usually the time I took to pray. I would pray for a peaceful day, for God to give me the strength to make it through and always for the safety of my family.

At the moment I realized our nation was under attack, I didn't feel any of those things ... peaceful, strong or safe. I turned the radio to our local Christian station and listened to my pastor explain what was happening and try to comfort his listeners. I called my family, and, of course, they were all safe, but they were feeling the same emotions as everyone else. I remember going home and watching the video of the towers falling, hearing story after heartbreaking story on the news and realizing what it meant to truly feel patriotic from the hair on my head to the polish on my toes. Eventually, I knew every word to Toby Keith's song, American Soldier, and "Let's Roll" became a motto I wanted to live by too.

Today, I sit here with a mix of emotions. Again, the patriotism I feel is taking over. I've known several who have fought and are still fighting for our country ... in this war and those before. There aren't enough words to describe the gratitude I feel towards the men and women who risk their lives for me, my family and our safety every day.

The news broke, and the death of Osama Bin Laden was celebrated. And, yes, I know without a shadow of a doubt that he "got what he deserved" as so many are describing the event on Facebook and Twitter. I too am celebrating the work and courage of our Navy Seals, the CIA and all involved. But for a minute let's stop and think about what this all means.

The families of those who suffered and died on September 11 can finally have a little bit of closure. Although, when a family member is taken from us, I don't think we ever really get complete closure. Hug those you love today, and never miss an opportunity to say, "I love you."

And, now maybe our troops can come home. I know there are moms, dads, sisters, brothers, cousins, aunts, uncles and friends who haven't seen their loved ones in a long time. Don't take advantage of the fact that your family lives five minutes or five hours away from you. Embrace every opportunity God gives you to enjoy each other.

Lastly, think about what it means to be patriotic. You don't have to serve in the military or fight in a war to fulfill your patriotic duties. You can serve this land we love and the freedom we share right where you are. Volunteer for a local non-profit, support the things you believe in and exercise your freedoms.

We shouldn't celebrate the death, but rejoice in the cause. Today, our country and our world are safer than they were yesterday. Today, we have the opportunity to realize our patriotic role and make a difference. Today, we can change our lives and the lives around us by just focusing on making a difference. As a mentor of mine posted on Twitter this morning, "let there be peace on Earth and let it begin with me."

God Bless America!

No comments:

Post a Comment